

The end of summer always means harvest time for me. I absolutly love to start the berry picking and jam making and zuccini eating and peach canning. This last week we went to Carver farms and picked 9 pounds of strawberries and about 4 pounds of rasberries and a bag of corn. I took all of my kids and we had a great time. Taylor picked the most strawberries of all and I was so glad he helped pick them. I made jam and my kids helped me do it. I had such a feeling of satisfaction that night as we were all taking turns doing some assembly line work to make our strawberry freezer jam. It was so heartwarming to have my 5 year old mashing the berries and absolutly loving it untill he was falling asleep over the bowl. I finally told him he could take a break because it was 11:30 pm. He really didnt want to miss out on the jelly making process but since he had seen and helped with 4 other batches before that he was willing to retire to bed. Ashlee helped me wash and cut the berries and Alyssa was helping smash and stir too. We were all in the kitchen together and I couldnt help the feeling of gratitude for their tender spirits and that time we spent making jam together. You know the best part was I didnt even care about the mess like I usually do. I just had fun and didnt care that the strawberries were going splat. As I tucked them in to bed that night I felt in my heart that they will treasure that time together also. I know this winter when we break out the freezer jam it will mean so much more to them knowing that they helped pick and make that jam. I know I will feel that way too.
2 comments:
the title of your post reminds me of a some concert in the park-
so I now want a strawberry-
Did you go show grandma all the strawberries you picked???? Carver Farms is a big chunk of my childhood- Do you always go to carver farms or is it because it is close to our home??? You go there often it seems-
pump up the jam, pump it up...
Post a Comment