Sunday, July 29, 2007

Wisdom?

I have been fretting over this all month. Just two days before my 37th Birthday....I was driving in the car and just happened to catch my face in the mirror and I looked to my hair for just a minute and caught something at a glance. I thought to myself "no this can't be .... is that a grey hair?". I instantly pulled it out (while driving) and sure enough it was stark white. I almost crashed the car. I do not recommend finding grey hairs while driving. My first reaction was to start to cry and think I am getting so old. And this type of reaction usually leads into more self doubt and critisism only it didn't this time. I was trying to be brave and not crash the car. And then this thought popped into my head. "I have officailly joined the ranks of the wise!" And then that grey hair turned into something positive and it changed my whole thought process. It was wonderful. I still dont like the fact that I have found 3 more since then but I dont look at myself with the same frightening thought of going grey. I think of myself as aging gracefully and one grey hair at a time ...that I can pull out!

Can wisdom be found in just one grey hair? No. It's been there all the time. I just needed to be reminded that I had some.

2 comments:

April said...

If I look like you at 37 I will be pretty dang pleased with the aging process.

And well you know the saying, "You're only as old as you feel"? Well for someone from the outside looking in...I'd say you were 16.

Sorry that doesn't help with the whole gaining wisdom thing...but you are pretty youthful. I feel like an old hag when I am with you sometimes- and I ask myself, "where does she get all that energy?"

I think wisdom comes from experience...so with 4 children, marriage, trials, faith...37 years...you have it. Of course you do...still young at heart nonetheless. I love you Calie.

Calie said...

April thank you so much. You always know the right thing to say. I love you too. You have made my day.