Saturday, July 14, 2007

Question

So I thought I would post a question and see what you all thought....

Does adversity develop character or does it reveal character?

I have this question taped up to my cupboard and every time I read it I always think to myself "What does adversity do to me?" I think it effects me differently on any given day. I try to learn from it and sometimes it will shape my attitude for the day. Not letting it effect me negatively is the real test I beleive.

Oh the dredded test ... I am thankful I passed the first test. For I know I did...I am here on earth today. Living, loving and going through my second test....mortality. I am thankful I have mutiple choices for my test...and yet sometimes... I just want the answer book. But that will not bring the growth that we need to learn and build character. To draw strength from one another and to treasure this life and find meaningful relationships. Yes I am thankful for multiple choices. For that is our Saviors plan. Free agency. So yet again I ask you this question "Does adversity develop character or does it reveal character?"

5 comments:

EDK said...

Both.

Unknown said...

hmmm... I agree with mom. I also think, however, that we as individuals define adversity for ourselves. Meaning for me.. I hate the word "problem" whoever came up with that word must have been a pretty negative soul. If you think about it we respond to everything either positively or negatively. When we respond negatively then we are having "problems" we are experiencing "adversity". So I dont know.. I just think that life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it. Is getting a flat tire adversity? It is if we start moaning and groaning about how we will be late for work or how we will be getting all dirty as we change the tire... or it could be a beautiful thing. For example, someone who woke up that day and prayed for an opportunity to reach out to others and then sees us on the side of the road needing help.. well our so called adversity is becoming an answer to someone's prayer. If we are with friends and loved ones then what a fun memory we could be making as we learn how to change the tire. These are all just basic examples... oh oh oh and my favorite.. what if it is dusk and there is a beautiful sunset and as we change our tire we have the perfect spot on the freeway to sit and watch the sun go down. Adversity is only as horrible as you want it to be. So called adversity just makes us better people. So.. Rise up! Be of good cheer! The best is yet to come.

April said...

"Getting through the hazards of life requires understanding, skill, experience, and self-assurance like that required to sink a difficult basket under pressure. In the game of life, that is called righteous character. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is used. Character is woven quietly from the threads of hundreds of correct decisions (like practice sessions). When strengthened by obedience and worthy acts, correct decisions form a fabric of character that brings victory in time of great need. Righteous character provides the foundation of spiritual strength that enables you to make difficult, extremely important decisions correctly when they seem overpowering." Elder Richard G. Scott

It appears adversity can reveal character if it was previously developed in the first place by righteous decisions according to Elder Scott- Sounds like our goal is to have it developed before adversity strikes…if not…the road is harder and longer. We have all had challenges in our life where we didn't handle them with righteous character and then suffered greatly or longer because so...but that is part of the whole “line upon line- precept upon precept" thing- with time we learn, we obey, we turn to God, we pray...and slowly develop character by being righteous and obedient. I think with each trial we use more and more of our developed character that has developed from obedience and faith...and someday we will go through adversity perfectly...like God… with righteous character never ceasing...it is a natural law from the fall of Adam that there will always be opposition in all things-I don't think adversity will ever end- when God revealed to Enoch how many of His children, the "workmanship of His own hands" would disobey Him, God wept. God wept! He feels pain and adversity even now and still…and it is ok to cry when life gets tough.

What is character?
"God uses your faith to mold your character. Character is the manifestation of what you are becoming." Richard G. Scott

Calie- thanks for forcing me to think tonight...it feels good to ponder and study principles of the gospel.

April said...

"This earth is not our home. We are away at school, trying to master the lessons of 'the great plan of happiness' so we can return home and know what it means to be there. Over and over the Lord tells us why the plan is worth our sacrifice--and His. Eve called it 'the joy of our redemption' (Moses 5:11). Jacob called it 'that happiness which is prepared for the saints' (2 Nephi 9:43). Of necessity, the plan is full of thorns and tears--His and ours. But because He and we are so totally in this together, our being 'at one' with Him in overcoming all opposition will itself bring us 'incomprehensible
joy.' "


(Bruce C. Hafen, "The Atonement: All for All," Ensign, May 2004, 98)

Zina said...

WOW! You are all such amazeing, truely inspired and inspiring people. I love to read your posts.

I absolutely agree with all that has been written. I have a really neat poem that has to do with this...

Be mindful of your thoughts;
Your thoughts become your words

Be mindful of your words;
Your words become yur actions

Be mindful of your actions;
Your actions become your habits

Be mindful of your habits;
Your habits become your character

Be mindful of your character;
Your character becomes your destiny

So with that being said, you get to choose how it affects you and what you want it to be and the way it will work in your life....so remember choose wisely....for as was said that is why we are here upon this earth to be tried, tested, molded and shaped into human beings as much like christ as we can, so we can return with honor.....